Wednesday, July 09, 2008

God Orders Sin for My Good

From the conclusion of Bunyan's autobiography, Grace Abounding to the Chief of Sinners:

I find to this day seven abominations in my heart:
1. Inclinings to unbelief.
2. Suddenly to forget the love and mercy that Christ manifesteth.
3. A leaning to the works of the law.
4. Wanderings and coldness in prayer.
5. To forget to watch for what I pray for.
6. Apt to murmur because I have no more, and yet ready to abuse what I have.
7. I can do none of those things which God commands me.

These things I continually see and feel, and am afflicted and oppressed with; yet the wisdom of God doth order them for my good.
1. They make me abhor myself.
2. They keep me from trusting my heart.
3. They convince me of the insufficiency of all inherent righteousness.
4. They show me the necessity of flying to Jesus.
5. They press me to pray unto God.
6. They show me the need I have to watch and be sober.
7. And provoke me to look to God, through Christ, to help me.

Off the top of my head:
1. I "feel" each of Bunyan's abominations in my own heart (particularly #6).
2. How often do I forget to expect what I ask God for?
3. Did he just say that God uses his sin to get him to look to Christ? God orders sin for my good? He actually believes Romans 8:28?
4. Fly to Jesus...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Execellent stuff as always,
Bunyan is a saint to be emulated. How many evangelicals in our day and time, or maybe even his for that matter, who would simply declare that "God orders sin for my good". If you dont mind could you tell me the page number of that quote. I just have to use it.

Thanks and Soli Deo Gloria

pastor justin said...

In Bunyan's 3 Volume Works, this is on page 50 of the 1st volume.

thanks,

Anonymous said...

It's also very encouraging to me that God is working even in my sin to bring me to a place of utter dependence on Jesus Christ.