Thursday, February 26, 2009

Meet Clif Cummings

Clif Cummings is the pastor of First Baptist Church in Duncan, OK. You can read Clif's blog here. Clif was my pastor when I graduated from seminary and went to FBC Beaumont in 2004. I thank God for Clif's encouragement and partnership over these last 5 years. God was kind to allow me to observe Clif's courage and humility during some tough days of ministry. He is a man of integrity who serves his church with passion and love.

And, Clif has killed more wildlife than anyone else I know.

Clif, thanks for your time! Please describe your morning devotions. What time do you wake up in the morning? How much time do you spend reading, meditating, praying, etc.? What are you presently reading?
I am usually awake between 5:30 a.m. and 6:00 a.m. Beginning January 01 of this year, I renewed my discipline of exercising first thing in the morning. This usually involves 30 – 45 minutes of running on a treadmill on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays – then weight lifting on M,W,F. I have found (at least for me) that my physical disciplines and spiritual disciplines are connected and I do best at both when I am working at both. (side note – I have lost 22 lbs. so far! And have as a goal to lose another 25 – 30.)
Then when I get to my office, I usually read the Scripture and praying over it for about an hour. Currently I am using the “every thirtieth Psalm and a Proverb method” which corresponds with the day of the month. For example, today I read Psalm 23, 53, 83, 113, 143 and Proverbs 23. I have to have some method that is totally separate of my sermon and teaching preparation to refresh and replenish my own soul. I also have returned to the discipline of journaling my prayers!
Notice the theme – “I have returned”. Praise God for His grace!

What book(s) are you currently reading in these three categories: (a) for your soul, (b) for pastoral ministry, or (c) for personal enjoyment?
I find it hard to separate reading for my soul and reading for pastoral ministry. I recently read this quote on another blog and it has convicted me deeply: "Preaching is the art of making a sermon and delivering it. Why no, that is not preaching. Preaching is the art of making a preacher, and delivering that. Preaching is the outrush of soul in speech. Therefore, the elemental business in preaching is not with the preaching but with the preacher. It is no trouble to preach, but a vast trouble to construct a preacher. What then, in the light of this is the task of a preacher? (or of anyone sharing his or her faith). Mainly this, the amassing of a great soul so as to have something worthwhile to give. The sermon is the preacher up to date." Bishop Alfred Quayle, (1860-1925).
So to answer the question: I am currently reading Living with Less by Mark Tabb (great internationally unknown author who is also a personal friend) and Money, Possessions and Eternity by Randy Alcorn. I have waiting on my desk The Reason for God by Tim Keller. For personal enjoyment – I read a lot of different hunting magazines. (I enjoy hunting – a lot!)

Apart from Scripture, what book do you most frequently re-read and why?
I find myself returning to specific authors more often than specific books, especially Piper and C.J. Mahaney. These two men speak to my soul as no other “living authors.” (I also read Spurgeon and D.Martyn-Lloyd Jones). Piper challenges me by his depth of knowledge and C.J. challenges me by keeping it so real.

When you finish a book, what system have you developed in order to remember and reference that book in the future?
As I am reading a book – I highlight (a lot) and index what I have highlighted in the front and back of the book with a short quote and page number. This way, when the Holy Spirit reminds me of something I read – I usually can go to the book and find it pretty easily.

If you could study under any theologian in church history (excluding those men in Scripture), who would it be and why?
Wow – so many to choose from. I think I would choose C.H. Spurgeon. He stood and defended the Gospel of Grace in an age similar to ours. The true Gospel had become diluted and downgraded in England and Spurgeon made a difference by his preaching, his writing and his life.

What single piece of counsel (or constructive criticism) has most improved your preaching?
Many years ago, while I was still serving as a youth pastor, the pastor whom I was serving with challenged me with some very good “constructive criticism”. Unknown to me, one evening he stood outside the room and listened to me teach our students. The following week he sat down and said: “Clif, quit performing. Be real, be authentic, be transparent...” I debated him – to no avail. God uses those words in my life to this day.

What books on preaching, or examples of it, have you found most influential in your own preaching?
Having never studied “preaching” in seminary (my Master’s degree is in Education) – I basically learned to preach by “doing.” However, I have served under three great pastors who each had their own strengths that I have tried to incorporate into my life. One was a passionate evangelist, another very authentic and transparent and the third was a student of the Word like none other I had known until that time. I would like to think that I am a composite of those three examples.

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your effective use of time?
I believe it is from John Maxwell that I heard “If another person can do something 80% as well as you can – then delegate the job to them and give yourself to the task that you alone are 100% responsible for. (Which for me is preparation and preaching).

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your leadership?
“You can’t please all the people, all the time. So quit trying.” At one time I honestly thought I could! But, Moses couldn’t, and neither did Jesus.
The second “bit” of counsel is to remember that as Pastor – I am called to be the “chief servant”, not simply the chief.

Where in ministry are you most regularly tempted to discouragement?
When my sheep wander off to another flock. I used to struggle with this A LOT because I took it very personal. Again, thinking that I was capable of keeping everybody happy. I am not as bad as I used to be – but it still hurts when someone chooses to join another church across town.

Do you exercise? If so, what do you do? If not, why not? (Please be specific.)
See answer to first question.

Currently, what sport do you like to play and/or watch?
I don’t play any sport regularly. I get a chance to embarrass myself on the golf course occasionally. I watch college football and basketball – especially THE University of Oklahoma SOONERS! ( I know, I know! But name another college football team that has even made it to that many BCS bowls in the last 10 years!!)

What do you do for leisure?
I am passionate about hunting. Primarily duck hunting, then deer hunting, then pheasant hunting, then turkey hunting. When it’s not one of those hunting seasons – I fish. I like to think that I am simply following the command of our Lord who told Peter to “Arise, kill and eat…” (Acts 11:7). :)

If you were not in ministry, what occupational path would you have chosen?
Having been in either part-time or full time vocational ministry for 33 years – that’s hard to imagine. But most likely a school teacher and/or coach.

4 comments:

The Wife said...

I remember being a new Christian and visiting FBC Beaumont for the first time and hearing Clif preach (after attending a Catholic church my whole life). It was the first time I had heard someone preach straight from the Bible's text (probably my first sermon to hear in a protestant church)! I soon joined. Although I don't remember any specific sermons he preached, I remember leaving church on Sundays well-fed from God's Word.

BoldLion said...

It is great to get to know your pastor at FBC Beaumont and how you have keep up with him even after he had left and you have left latter on.

Interesting that his major was education. How he got to be a pastor? I know that anyone can be a pastor if the Lord call him to be one. What got him to be a pastor instead of being in Education? I am currious about that part.

Hungry to eat His Word and that wild games food too!
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Clif Cummings said...

Bold Lion,
I recieved my Masters Degree in Christian Education from Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary.
My vocational ministry has included being a full-time music/youth minister; a youth pastor; a youth&families pastor; an Education/Administration pastor and now the Lead or Senior Pastor.
I believe my journey to become a Senior Pastor is all due to God's amazing grace. It was not my plan nor my goal
I would be glad to share some of my wild-game with you also - but Justin will have to invite me out to cook it for you!
By God's Amazing Grace,
Pastor Clif

BoldLion said...

Thank you, Clif for explain what kind of education major that was! That does make a big different.

I will have to get Justin to invite you to come over to NC for that wonderful wild games food to eat. I wuld love that.

May the Lord Bless You always! Continue to eat His Word!
'Guerite ~ BoldLion