On page 102 of God is the Gospel, John Piper says there are three things that stand in the way of our complete satisfaction in this world:
1. There is nothing here that has a personal worth great enough to meet the deepest longings of our hearts.
2. We lack the strength to savor the best treasures to their maximum worth.
3. Our joys here come to an end. Nothing lasts.
In steps the beauty of the gospel:
1. Jesus' worth is inexhaustible.
2. God enables us to enjoy His Son with His boundless energy.
3. Jesus and our enjoyment of Him will never end.
Another reminder how badly I need the gospel today.