Saturday, December 31, 2005

A New Years Tradition


Sorry I have been absent from the blog-world lately. I have had a nice break from the norm.

I wanted to share a New Years tradition that my wife and I do. Each Dec. 31 we write each other a letter that is not to be opened until the next Dec. 31. So, last year on Dec. 31, 2004 we each wrote a letter that wasn't opened until tonight. We have been doing this for 4 or 5 years now. In these letters we talk about the past year and what God has done. Then, we look forward to the uncertainties of the upcoming year. This is always funny because reality rarely meets expectations. Then, we usually end with some sort of word to each other in case we don't make it to Dec. 31. We affirm our love and commitment to each other and share our resolutions (if any). The last couple of years I have included my favorite picture from the previous year.

This has been so beneficial to us. We anticipate opening these letters and make a big deal out of it. I commend this tradition or some form of it in your own marriage. I think we will even include our kids in this when they get older. Of course, we keep these letters in a fire-proof/flood-proof safe. And, these letters made the evacuation from hurricane Rita with us.

2 comments:

Rob Tombrella said...

Very challenged by this J! rob

Unknown said...

Justin,
Thanks for this post. I will do something of this sort with my fiancee. God bless!