Thursday, January 05, 2006

Rebuked by Proverbs 27:5

I was rebuked this morning by Proverbs 27:5: "Better is open rebuke than hidden love."

A simple yet profound proverb. I am 99.9% on the hidden love side (that is probably a generous percentage; it should be closer to 100%). I hardly ever rebuke anyone (and I haven't been rebuked very much). My love for people around me is hidden when it comes to confronting.

Why is an open rebuke better than hidden love?

1. Hidden love is motivated by selfishness (an unwillingness to take a risk for the sake of a fellow Christian).

2. Hidden love disregards the gospel and Christ's sacrifice for sins.

3. Hidden love does not take sin seriously.

4. An open rebuke at least opens the door to repentance.

5. Hidden love creates shallow relationships and does not build the community of faith.

1 comment:

ed said...

I tried to first rebuke my friend in Love, but got nothing but hostility, "you judgemental so & so, mind your own business". As their life literally crumbles around them. And they want to white-wash the issues at our church, and just put on a good face, with nothing changed. I fear the LORD's judgement on that. Like Stephanie(below), I'm thinking along the lines of Ezekiel, "Prophet, you lie and declare peace when there is no peace. You leave the people a white washed wall with breaks in it unable to defend themselves at the day of the Lord. You do not shepherd the people. You only feed yourself. If you see sin crouching at your brother's door and do not sound a warning then you will have his bloodguilt on your hands." Oh Snap!

And so the battle goes...Thanks for helping me gird my loins with the words here. Bless you all.