Sunday, June 04, 2006

Thoughts on Leading Myself to Worship

That is a strange title for a conservative guy like myself. Let me explain.
Back about 7 years ago, I was crazy. I was heading off to preach 9 summer revivals and my fiance (now my wife, Jeanna) was heading in another direction to do summer missions. We were not planning on seeing each other for over 2 months. So I did something that is way out of character for me. I made a worship tape for Jeanna to take with her, so that, though we were apart, we could worship together. Sappy. I know.
Those who know me, know that I cannot sing worth a flip. I'm even worse with a guitar. But I had a passion to exalt the name of Christ and I had a passion to build my future marriage on the solid rock of Christ. So, I did the now unthinkable. I hooked up the guitar to the sound system at my church and clipped a lapel mic on my shirt and hit 'record.' Then, I just worshipped. It didn't (still doesn't) sound pretty or even tolorable, but it was sincere.

So, you know whats coming next. We were cleaning some stuff last week and came across this tape that had "Glorify the Lord with me, let us exalt His name together" on the label. I said, "Jeanna, do you think this is THAT tape?" She knew what I meant. We popped it in the stereo and began to think back to that precious summer of Kingdom building. We began to laugh at my monotonous strumming of the same beat for every song, my off-key singing, and my silly comments throughout. Then, it happened. I began to sing along with myself. I led myself to worship. I was captivated by divine grace and holiness. I was reminded of my sin and my Savior. I forgot about the glaring inadequacies of my ability to sing pretty songs and I saw the glaring beauty of the Christ who had captured my heart.

That tape remains in my living room stereo. I couldn't remove it, hoping that I can play it again soon and find myself enthralled by what Christ has done in my life. I'm not proud of this tape, just thankful for it.

5 comments:

The Taras' said...

That's awesome! I dont think that I could do that though....I like to turn the music up above myself so that I do not destract myself!!!

What is funny is that Dallas and I were just talking about you and your music abilities on our way to the Astros game last night. I dont even know how we got on the subject. But we were just talking about worship and how you would lead us to worship the Lord with song. How you would play the same strums over and over and you never really cared how it sounded (not that it was bad...much better than me!) but how awesome that it was and what a neat example that was to hear you worship the Lord and not worry about all of the other stuff. anyways, I just found that amusing that we were JUST talking about that last night and you brought it up-so I Thought Id share!

Thanks so much for your sharing your heart that longs to worship our Lord in spirit and truth- and showing us what true worship is!

pastor justin said...

Thanks Sarah. Actually, I recorded that tape at Union Grove, sitting on the back pew by the sound system.

Lady Raven said...

You should be proud of that tape, you started your relationship off with your priorities straight...and the two of you can still enjoy the meaning behind it for years to come.

The Taras' said...

I figured that you recorded it there!!! In your defense, that wasnt much of a sound system!! LOL!!

Thats awesome that you guys have such a worshipful memory! I hope that you guys have many more!!!

Clif Cummings said...

I urge you my brother, by the mercy of God, to NEVER, NEVER lose that tape! As a matter of fact, I encourage you to record it in digital format and burn it to a cd!
It is a priceless treasure that must be preserved. You and Jenna will grow to cherish that tape as you continue to grow in your love for each other and the LORD!