Proverbs 19:17 says, "Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the Lord, and he will repay him for his deed."
Here are 8 insights/thoughts about this text:
1. "Whoever" implies that anyone who gives to the poor (with proper motives) lends to the Lord and will be repaid.
2. It is godly to be generous to the poor. The poor are the responsibility of the godly.
3. Godly people should desire to do things for the Lord.
4. One way to please the Lord is to be generous to the poor.
5. God rewards generousity.
6. A motivating factor in generousity should be to get repaid (Otherwise, why would he bring reward up?).
7. There is no doubt about God's reward (He will repay him).
8. There is a connection between the poor and God. God identifies with the poor.