The first thing Jesus said from the Cross was, "Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they do" (Luke 23:34).
1. This cry was the fulfillment of prophecy (Isaiah 53:12).
2. This statement shows that sin is serious business. Sin was on Jesus' mind as He struggled.
3. This statement shows the blindness of the human heart (they do not know what they do).
4. Here we see our great and primary need: forgiveness. Jesus does not pray for wealth, happiness, or safety. He prays for sin to be removed and reconciliation to take place between God and man.
5. Jesus is in the attitude of prayer even as He suffers.
6. Jesus prays for His murderers and those insulting Him.
7. Jesus prays for me.