Monday, March 10, 2008

Gospel Primer, Part 2 of 3

A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent

“Over the course of time, preaching the gospel to myself every day has made more of a difference in my life than any other discipline I have ever practiced” (p. 6).

Reasons 12-21 (of 31) to Rehearse the Gospel Daily:

12. My Inheritance in the Saints – The more I comprehend the full scope of the gospel, the more I value the church for which Christ died, the more I value the role that I play in the lives of my fellow-Christians, and the more I appreciate the role that they must be allowed to play in mine.
13. Stimulated to Love Others – When my mind is fixed on the gospel, I have ample stimulation to show God’s love to other people.
14. A Heart for the Lost – The more I rehearse and exult in gospel truths, the more there develops within me a corresponding burden for non-Christians to enter into such blessings.
15. Cultivating Humility – Preaching the gospel to myself each day mounts a powerful assault against my pride and serves to establish humility in its place. Pride wilts in the atmosphere of the gospel and humility grows lushly in the atmosphere of the gospel.
16. Obedience Borne of Love – Preaching the gospel to myself is a great way to keep God’s amazing love before my eyes, so that I might experience its power to produce in me a passionate love for Him in return.
17. Liberation from Self-Love – The gospel reveals to me the breathtaking glory and loveliness of God, and in so doing, it lures my heart away from love of self and leaves me enthralled by Him instead.
18. Perspective in Trials – Every hardship in my life is allowed by God only because it serves His gospel purposes in me.
19. Exposed by the Cross, Part 1 – The deeper I go into the gospel, the more I comprehend and confess aloud the depth of my sinfulness.
20. Exposed by the Cross, Part 2 – The Cross also exposes me before the eyes of other people, informing them of the depth of my depravity, allowing me to live honestly before them.
21. Chosen for Prayer – God shed the blood of His Son so that I might be cleansed and rendered fit to stand before Him in love.

No comments: