Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The Transforming Power of Jesus

In John 2:1-11, Jesus transforms water into wine. John says that in so doing, Jesus manifested His glory. I noticed at least 5 ways the glory of Jesus is manifested in this "sign."

1. This sign points to the deity of Jesus.
2. This sign points to the compassion of Jesus.
3. This sign points to the extravagance of Jesus.
4. This sign points to the transforming power of Jesus.
5. This sign points to the trustworthiness of Jesus.

If you want to hear how I developed each of these points from the text, you can listen to my sermon from Sunday. I really enjoyed studying John's use of "signs" in this gospel.

1 comment:

Brance said...

Justin,

Good sermon. I love the signs in John's Gospel. I took my youth through the book, focusing on the signs, while on a mission trip. It really helped us keep focused on Jesus throughout our trip.

I liked the way you drew out the aspects of Jesus character that the sign points to.

Looking forward to the rest of the series.