Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Anger Management

I finally got my hands on one of the new "Pocket Puritans" (thanks to my generous friend, Mark who had snow on his church last Thursday).

So, last night before turning out the light, I read through Baxter's Anger Management. What a helpful little book. If you struggle with anger, run to get your hands on this helpful resource!

Here is just one of many helpful "directives" given by Baxter:
"When anger rises, confess your sin without delay to those around. Take the shame to yourself. Shame the sin and honour God."

Baxter goes on to suggest saying to those around you, "I feel a sinful anger rising in my heart and am tempted to forget God's presence and act in a way that is not proper for his glory and speak provoking words that I know would be displeasing to him."

Wow. What if we really did such things?

3 comments:

Greg Breazeale said...

Love the Pocket Puritians. I am trying to collect all the ones that are out for when I go to Israel on the 31st I will have something small to carry around and read.

GB

BoldLion said...

Someone (in the Christ Baptist Church's family) gave me that copy before I lost my job in Raleigh. This book had helped me a lot and is something that I need to read over again. I am so thankful for his book.

I too got to get to repent of my anger times to times. It isn't because I am redheaded hot temper. It doesn't matter what color my hair is. I got to live my life for Christ and control my anger outburst.

In Christ Alone,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Anonymous said...

I think I said those words a few years ago when an unrepentant sinner decided Sunday at 11:27 am was the perfect time to start up his chainsaw and cut down the tree on church property that his cousin's neighbor's friend's uncle told him he could have. I'm pretty sure i said just those words as I left the pulpit, honestly the rest of the memory is diffused in a red haze. I believe I discussed rapid tool storage and the anatomy of man, with an emphasis on the physical ramifications of sin with the would be lumberjack.
As I remember the topic of the sermon was, "Self control when Tempted." OK I am not Puritan.