Friday, December 19, 2008

Christ did not come to admire our beauties!

CH Spurgeon reflecting on Matthew 1:21:

“The first link between my soul and Christ is, not my goodness, but my badness; not my merit, but my misery, not my standing, but my falling; not my riches, but my need. He comes to visit his people, yet not to admire their beauties, but to remove their deformities; not to reward their virtues, but to forgive their sins. O ye sinners, I mean real sinners, not you that call yourselves so because you are told you are such, but you who feel yourself to be guilty before God, here is good news for you. O you self-condemned sinners, who feel that if you ever get salvation Jesus must bring it to you and be the beginning and the end of it, I pray you rejoice in this dear, this precious, this blessed name, for Jesus has come to save you, even you. Go to him as sinners, call him “Jesus,” and cry, “O Lord Jesus, be Jesus to me, for I need thy salvation.” Doubt not that he will fulfill his own name and exhibit his power in you. Only confess to him your sin, and he will save you from it. Only believe in him, and he will be your salvation.”

1 comment:

BoldLion said...

Thank you for sharing this with us! I do need that reminder of why He came.

In Christ Alone,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion