Friday, May 22, 2009

Preaching the Gospel to Yourself

In The Bookends of the Christian Life, Bridges and Bevington give some very practical advice about how to preach the gospel to yourself. This is how they do it: They take a different gospel promise each day of the week and apply it to their own sins.

Here are some examples (Notice the personal pronouns):

Sunday: But he was wounded for my transgressions of ____________; he was crushed for my iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought me peace, and with his stripes I am healed. Like a sheep, I have gone astray; I have turned to my own way; and the Lord has laid on him my iniquity (Isaiah 53:5-6).

Tuesday: Blessed am I, whose lawless deeds of ___________ are forgiven, and my sins are covered; blessed am I against whom the Lord will not count my sin (Rom. 4:7-8).

Friday: As far as the east is from the west, so far does he remove my transgressions of ________ from me (Psalm 103:12).

Every day: God, be merciful to me, the sinner! (Luke 18:13).
Every day: Christ's work for me is finished! (John 19:30).

No comments: