Thursday, December 31, 2009

Reflections on Reading in 2009

At the beginning of 2009, I set a goal of reading 50 books in a year. So, I kept track of my reading. I'm glad to say that by the grace of God, I read 50 whole books this year. The last book I finished was the Bible (does that not count as 66 books?).

Actually, I read a whole lot more than just 50 books. I also read parts of commentaries on John, 1 John, Daniel, James, Micah, and a lot of Spurgeon sermons. And, I read blogs, websites, newspapers, and countless books to my kids (not as many as my wife though).

Surprisingly, I don't feel like I have read very much this year. There were many times I didn't feel like reading. I am grieved by how much time I have wasted this year. I am grieved by how little I retain from reading and how little I actually apply to my life. Don't be impressed by my reading. Be impressed by the guy who reads one book well and applies its truth to his life.

Readers, I hope I have served you in some small way this year by pointing you to God-centered, Christ-exalting, Bible-saturated books. I hope to continue to do so.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

BoldLion said...

You had read a lot more than I did! Great way to go!

I don't think that I can read that many in a year unless I do have a different kind of job to do that would allow me to read more books!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion