Saturday, January 23, 2010

Philippians: The Gospel Community

I've never been as excited about a sermon series as I am about the next 5 months in Philippians. My joy is full.
Along with preparing and preaching sermons from Philippians, I am working on 2 gifts for my church family:

1. Depending on the Spirit, I am memorizing all of Philippians.
2. For the glory of God, I am writing a basic commentary on Philippians.

Here is something of an introduction to the commentary, called, "The Gospel Community."

Paul’s letter to the Philippians is about the gospel of Jesus Christ that creates and shapes a community of believers. In this friendly letter, we encounter the supremacy of Jesus Christ. The person and work of Jesus Christ is the dominant subject of Philippians. However, there is nothing abstract or out of touch about this presentation of Christ. In Philippians, Jesus Christ transforms and informs our lives and relationships with each other. In Philippians, Jesus Christ captures our attention in such a way that joy is possible even in the midst of great suffering. Philippians is a practical book about the very center of the Christian faith.

1 comment:

BoldLion said...

I am looking forward to learn a lot from Philippians, and your sermons.

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion