Monday, September 13, 2010

How to Disagree with your Favorite Commentators

I ran into a difficult position last week. I found myself disagreeing with my favorite commentators on the interpretation of the passage I was preparing to preach. I found myself wrestling with men who are much more godly and much smarter than I. I don't like that feeling. I don't like to disagree with men who have taught me most of what I know.

But, it happened and I learned from it. Here is some of what I learned:

1. Disagreements make you dig deeper. They serve to sharpen and strengthen.
2. We must always disagree humbly. It is important to admit that you may be wrong.
3. We should speak of the other position in a way that wouldn't embarrass us if we find out we are wrong and they are right.
4. We can appreciate someone's position on a non-essential matter and still disagree with them.
5. We can assume those we disagree with want to get it right just as much as we do.
6. On non-essential issues, God cares just as much about our attitude in disagreement as He does about who is actually right.

1 comment:

Presley said...

this is good...thanks