Thursday, March 02, 2006

Growing Up Christian

Really liked this book. I bought it because I minister to students who are growing up "Christian." In fact because of the nature of our church, I have very few students who have not grown up in the church. This book is a much needed meditation on the unique dangers and blessings of being raised around such precious truth.
Think about it: The blessings of being raised in church are obvious. But the dangers are serious. It is a human tendency to grow disconnected from things that are familiar. Church kids have the huge temptation to neglect these precious truths that they have heard a thousand times.

Karl Graustein serves these church kids well by helping them understand their situation and giving them wise counsel in their fight of faith. I am thinking about using this book as a discussion starter for our Wednesday night Bible study. If you have read it, tell me what you think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Justin! I will be picking this up!

Mark Redfern said...

I appreciate Karl's heart. I have gleaned a lot of help from this book. I have recommended it to many parents in our church and encouraged them to go through it with their teens. My father-in-law is going through it with my brother-in-law. I have posted some insights from the book on my blog (and want to continue doing so as some of our teens check out my blog now and then). This is a very valuable book. I don't know of another quite like it. It is about as "audience specific" as you could get.