Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Growing Up Christian #7: Familiar Yet Thankful

Chapter 7 of Growing Up Christian:

Danger #6 could be: the danger of forgetting the familiar. Church kids tend to take their blessings for granted.

A rule of life: “The more common something is, the more we tend to take it for granted.”

Graustein tells the story of Joni Erickson Tada and her diving accident that has left her paralyzed. Joni is one of the most grateful people today because she believes God is working her situation for her good and she takes nothing for granted.

Seven tips for growing in gratitude:
1. Ask God for help.
2. Build a strong relationship with Christ.
3. Recount the undeserved blessings from God.
4. Study specific passages of Scripture (related to God, The Bible, our parents, and our church).
5. Regularly communicate thanks.
6. Seek to develop stronger relationships with Mom and Dad.
7. Get more involved at church.

1 comment:

The Taras' said...

I like #3...recount the undeserved blessings of God.

This week I was struggling with discontentment and not trusting the Lord to provide for our needs. So I sat down and started a journal of blessings. The ways that God has provided for us in the past couple of months. Within a minute or two, I had already thought of 9. 9 ways that God provided for us one way or another...things that we did pray for and things that we didnt think to pray for...It really gives you a different perspective on your circumstances!!! Makes you humble and thankful! I decided to leave it open on my desk, so that when I feel those moments arise, when I begin to think "there is no way this one will work out"....I can look to my notebook and see how faithful God has been in the past and trust He will continue in His faithfulness just as He promised...and repent of those feelings of unbelief.