Sunday, July 08, 2007

Errant Preaching From The Inerrant Book

This past Sunday, July 8, I made a very specific mistake. In the conclusion to my message on Galatians 3:6-9, I made a point about missions. I think that these verses should encourage us to take this gospel to all the nations. I was not planning on using specific numbers in my plea for us to think about missions. However, as I was making that point, some of my previous study came flooding in my mind and I decided to share some of it. I think I said that there were about 300,000 remaining Bibleless languages. Obviously, that is not correct (I don't even think there are close to 300,000 total languages). What I meant to say was that there are about 3,000 languages that still need a Bible. I remember that number from some literature I read a few years ago. After checking online today, I learned that Wycliffe now says that there are about 2,200 Bibleless languages.
Please forgive me for this mistake. I intend to be accurate in everything I say. However, I know that this will not be the last mistake I make. I am in need of grace.

For the good of the church,
pastor justin

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Justin,

It's easy to make simple mistakes in the pulpit. I once turned Moses into Noah! Good for you, though, making the correction public on your blog.

Blessings,
Ray

jeanna said...

Hey babe, we all make mistakes. I think when you said that I must have been in the bathroom disciplining Karis. I am sorry I didn't catch it for you. Praise the Lord for a humble pastor! I love you!

jmack said...

Justin, thank you for your example of humility. We do make mistakes, we are not perfect, that is why we need THE Perfect.

Pastor Randy said...

Justin, thanks for the post man. It is a very frightening thing to get up and preach the Word of God. Too many pastors take this too lightly. May we all be aware of our fallacies and seek to honor God and His Word with our preaching. Thanks for the honesty and the challenge to take our preaching very serious.