Monday, May 19, 2008

The Pleasures of God

For our Tuesday morning theology breakfast, we have started The Pleasures of God by John Piper. This will be my 3rd time reading through this great book. I want to urge you to get and read this book. If you have never read it, carve out some time (get a group together to read it with you). If it has been a few years since you have read it, carve out some time to read it again. It's been about 5 years since I've read it, and I'm finding it fresh and new as I read it again.

The introduction explains the origin of the book in a statement by Henry Scougal: "The worth and excellency of a soul is to be measured by the object of its love."
Piper helps us to think about what God loves instead of always thinking about how He relates to us.

Chapter 1 is a fantastic meditation on the delight of God in His Son. When was the last time you heard a sermon or read a book about the love between the Father and the Son? The Father's happiness is first and foremost a happiness in the Son.

"The day is coming when I will have the capacity to delight in the Son the way the Father does. My fragile eyes will get the power to take in the glory of the Son shining in his full strength just the way the Father does. The pleasure God has in his Son will become my pleasure, and I will not be consumed, but enthralled forever" (p. 28).
There is also an audio book available (Listen while you drive!)

1 comment:

BoldLion said...

I wish that I can be part of your group on Tuesday morning! I can't because of the crazy hour job I have to be at work by 5:30 in the morning.

I know it will be wonderful and educational too. I had read this wonderful book and want to read it again with you all.

Thank you for doing this for other who are able to come. I do hope that more will come to your Tuesday morning breakfast!

Hungry to eat His Word!
BoldLion ~ 'Guerite