Monday, June 09, 2008

Why I'm Not Emergent Either

Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be) is a good book.

When I first saw the title of this book, I thought: "Clever title. Very emergent." I had no desire to read it. Then, they gave us a copy at T4G. I put it on the shelf and didn't even include it in the list of books I was going to read.

I had never read a book on the Emergent church. I never thought I would. I think the Emergent church is a flash in the pan. It will die soon. You can't neglect truth and be around very long (just do a little church history reading).

Then, I began to hear all of these glowing reviews of this book. So, I decided to pick it up and read through it. I am glad I did.

What makes this book good is that it does far more than just deal with the problems of the emergent church. It helps us to think Biblically.

4 comments:

BoldLion said...

Hey! Justin,

Question! Can you explain to me (who is Peppermint Patty who would get D-Minus) what is Emergent Church? I never had heard of it until last year and haven't ask anyone about it.

I do hope that you can explain it to me. Thank you for teaching us!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

pastor justin said...

'Guerite, that would be a great question for our Q&A session Wed night.

Unknown said...

Your getting a head start Justin.

The Taras' said...

I am not so sure emergent will be history soon. The "easy belive-ism movement" seems to be here to stay and in our area alot of the "mega churches" are going emergent.

ex. fellowship of the woodlands- (which is quickly quickly becoming a mega church) has what they call a traditional service and an emergent service-

maybe this is just in our part of the country but it just seems like more and more people are running to have their ears tickled and running farther away from the truth. I just don't see where any of these churches are looking to change anytime soon.


-sarah