Friday, August 15, 2008

Preparing to Preach

Like the rest of the world, I've been watching Michael Phelps dominate the Water Cube in Beijing. I am intrigued by his focus and determination. I wonder what in the world is he listening to on those headphones before each swim.

Most athletes have some sort of "pre-game" routine they go through to prepare themselves mentally. The best athletes have more than just physical abilities, they have an ability to focus and "get in the zone."

As I contemplated this, I was reminded that I do something very similar in preparing to preach on Sunday. I have a "pre-game" routine. My goal is much different. I'm not trying to "get in the zone." I'm not out to take anyone down or leave anyone in my wake.

My aim is to taste the sweetness of what I'm about to preach so that I can offer to others what I have found to be glorious and life-altering. My aim is to have the stench of Hell and the beauty of Heaven firmly fixed in my soul. My aim is to align my thoughts with the Word and align my affections with true realities.

So, here is something of what a typical Sunday morning will look like for me:

-When I get to the office, I read the Scriptures and look for promises to believe and fresh glimpses of Christ.

-I pray, always conscious of what is about to take place, pleading with God to make me feel the weight of it.

-I eat about 8 white powered donuts and down a bottle of water (hey, you burn a lot of calories while preaching).

-I review my manuscript, trying to preach to my own soul what I'm about to preach to others. I say parts of the sermon out loud to myself trying to press the truths into my heart.

-I pray through our church directory asking God to give me love for my people. I pray through the morning activities: set up, Bible study, service, tear down, lunch, evening activities, etc.

-Depending on how much time is left, I read something that is intended to awaken my affections. Usually it is something like: The Supremacy of God in Preaching or Brothers, We Are NOT Professionals by Piper.

-I pack up all the stuff and drive slowly to the school usually listening to a Cross-centered song and singing along (Sometimes I eat 1 or 2 more donuts on the way).

So, what about you? If you are a preacher, what do you do on Sunday mornings? If you are not a preacher, what do you do to prepare yourself to meet with God's people and hear His Word?

4 comments:

Dan Rolfe said...

Justin,

I too have a routine:

a. I arise very early to pray that God will use me for His glory and I meditate on the gospel, asking God to make me freshly amazed.

b. Unlike you, I don't eat anything until after I preach. Point of interest - I always lose a pound while preaching, weird huh? I gain it back quickly later...

c. I review my sermon notes, trying to be sensitive to any change in emphasis the Spirit may lead me to make. I too preach some of it to myself.

After I have spent some time with the Lord, I wake my family to prepare for our Sunday celebration.

pastor justin said...

Great thoughts Dan.

We should market a new diet plan. Preaching those pounds away!

Have you seen the CJersize video? You can find it on You Tube.

Anonymous said...

Okay, my wife and mother have posed a question for you Justin. They want to know how you eat those powdered donuts without getting them all over your clothes before meeting?

We have tried to recreate several scenarios in our heads. I think the general consensus is that you must put the whole thing in you mouth.

As for Dan, he really loses his pound during the music.

pastor justin said...

Jason,
Profound question indeed.

It has taken me a long time to get to the skill level of being able to eat these donuts without getting them on my clothes.

However, even the best often make mistakes.