Sunday, August 31, 2008

Truly, Truly, I say to you...

Here is an interactive post. As you get time, read through all 25 occurances of "Truly, Truly, I say to you" from the gospel of John. Then, comment with an observation or two regarding the importance of this phrase on the lips of Jesus. Why did Jesus use this phrase?
Be sure to consult the context where necessary.

John 1:51
And he said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you will see heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of Man.”

John 3:3
Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.”

John 3:5
Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.

John 3:11
Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony.

John 5:19
So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of his own accord, but only what he sees the Father doing. For whatever the Father does, that the Son does likewise.

John 5:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life. He does not come into judgment, but has passed from death to life.

John 5:25
“Truly, truly, I say to you, an hour is coming, and is now here, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God, and those who hear will live.

John 6:26
Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, you are seeking me, not because you saw signs, but because you ate your fill of the loaves.

John 6:32
Jesus then said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, it was not Moses who gave you the bread from heaven, but my Father gives you the true bread from heaven.

John 6:47
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life.

John 6:53
So Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you.

John 8:34
Jesus answered them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, everyone who commits sin is a slave to sin.

John 8:51
Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death.”

John 8:58
Jesus said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I am.”

John 10:1
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door but climbs in by another way, that man is a thief and a robber.

John 10:7
So Jesus again said to them, “Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep.

John 12:24
Truly, truly, I say to you, unless a grain of wheat falls into the earth and dies, it remains alone; but if it dies, it bears much fruit.

John 13:16
Truly, truly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him.

John 13:20
Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever receives the one I send receives me, and whoever receives me receives the one who sent me.”

John 13:21
After saying these things, Jesus was troubled in his spirit, and testified, “Truly, truly, I say to you, one of you will betray me.”

John 13:38
Jesus answered, “Will you lay down your life for me? Truly, truly, I say to you, the rooster will not crow till you have denied me three times.

John 14:12
“Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes in me will also do the works that I do; and greater works than these will he do, because I am going to the Father.

John 16:20
Truly, truly, I say to you, you will weep and lament, but the world will rejoice. You will be sorrowful, but your sorrow will turn into joy.

John 16:23
In that day you will ask nothing of me. Truly, truly, I say to you, whatever you ask of the Father in my name, he will give it to you.

John 21:18
Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you used to dress yourself and walk wherever you wanted, but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will dress you and carry you where you do not want to go.”

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

In Matthew 18:15-20, we read of the importance of multiple witnesses. It creates validity and merit to what is being stated. By saying, "Truly, truly", Jesus is saying that He is His own witness and that what He says is accurate and true.

Anonymous said...

HI, can I clarify that by stating the word 'truly' twice, Jesus is being his own witness?

Anonymous said...

Thank you sooo much for this list! I searched for such a list in German language for some time online - not possible...

Unknown said...

Definition: verily, truly, amen; at the end of sentences may be paraphrased by: So let it be. Jesus is the law giver , the truth and the only way to the Father.

Anonymous said...

Jn-6:53, When our Lord says this twice, you know he is saying something really inportant, to take notice. Since scripture cannot contradict itself but compliments various passages he is obviously stating that the bread in the desert prefigured the eucharist and we must eat of his flesh.When this is looked at with the rest of john 6, and Mt 26:26-28 and Mk 14 :22-24, and then if people still dont"GET IT ", then look at the many eucharistic miracles around the world, that they can go see for themselves. If this doessnt do it, Then may the lord open the hearts and minds of these poor people who are in error. Some say he,s speaking of scripture, sow how could they eat scripture at the last supper..Tnx for this list and God Bless..