Thursday, June 25, 2009

Judgment Questions

This morning, John Piper posted a challenging thought on Twitter. He wrote, "Questions God will not ask at the last judgment: Did you get a good tan?"

I don't concern myself with how dark my tan is. However, this thought struck a deeper cord. How many things do I concern myself with that will not matter when I see the Savior face to face?

So, here are some other questions God will not ask at the last judgment:
-Did you see the final episode of ________ (insert your favorite TV show here)?
-Was your bed comfortable?
-Did people think well of you?
-Did you get a good interest rate?
-Did you have enough in your retirement account?
-Where you properly diversified?
-Did you have an iPhone?
-What was your high score on Wii bowling?
-Did you stay up to date on all the latest technology?
-How was the food at ________ (insert your favorite restaurant here)?

8 comments:

Aaron said...

I thought the same thing this morning. Great follow up application Justin, thanks for posting this.

But are you sure about the iPhone one? Ouch...

Tim said...

What about
"Did you drink alcohol?"

TheBeastMan said...

Great list Justin. Got me thinking about questions He will ask.

1) Did you give Me thanks for the gifts of good food and a warm comfortable bed?

2) Did you allow those pleasures to point you back to Me as the Giver and the Author of pleasure?

3) Were those things pleasure enough in themselves or did you let them remind you that they don't compare with Me?

4) Did you give me glory through the use of technologies I gave you?

pastor justin said...

Jim,
Fantastic thoughts.

I was thinking these same things. iPhones and Wii Bowling are not bad in and of themselves. They are gifts from God to be used for His glory.

Greg Breazeale said...

I dont know...God did make the sun for His glory (Psalm 19)! Basking in it will cause skin to turn color!
lol!

GB

BoldLion said...

Great point and question!

Did you eat MY Word in book form instead of using iPod this morning?

Hungry to eat His Word!
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Chris Scott said...

Ouch... This list definitely stings and points to my lack of satisfaction in the Savior alone for my ultimate and only satisfaction. I say that as I'm typing on my iPod touch and am texting on my touch screen cell phone. When we shall see his lovely face we will sing His sovereign grace. And one more note on Guerites comment technology is not inherently evil and if I did not have my iPod/iPhone I would forget to spend my time in the word. There was a time when books and paper were a luxury and the printing press was not even invented. Let us focus on content then we can analyze the medium but I am thankful for His word no matter where it is.

Chris

BoldLion said...

Chris! I understand you and don't have anything against i-Pod about it. I commented it because I had been reading Tim Challis' blog and his view about i-Pod in church which is very understandable to me. I would encourage you all to read his blog about it. There is more than one of it. Go to the first one, and you will see my comment to him about it.

I do have Palm Pilot and use them when needed to look up His Word too.

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion