How do we cultivate humility and mortify pride?
- We need to spend time thinking about God’s greatness and holiness in comparison to our natural, moral, and moral insignificance.
- We need to think about how much God loves the humble and hates the proud.
- We need to meditate on the way that Christ humbled Himself when He came to earth.
- We need to think seriously on the examples of humility left by the most useful believers who have walked this earth.
- We must consider the example of humility demonstrated by the holy angels.
- We need to carefully reflect on the humility of believers who are now in heaven.
- We need to think about the great imperfections and weakness of our faith, our character, our behavior, our motives, our duties, and our service to God.
- We need to think about the fact that we deserve to experience God’s judgment and wrath because of our sin.
- We need to spend time thinking about the day of judgment.
- We ought to reflect on the pride of Satan and the demons.
- We need to remember that everything that we have or have accomplished comes from God’s hand.
- We must spend time thinking about the sad consequences of pride in other people’s lives.
- We ought to spend time with humble people and avoid as much as possible the company of arrogant people.
- We must spend time in prayer every day, confessing our pride to God and earnestly pleading for greater humility.
Adapted from Wayne Mack's Humility: The Forgotten Virtue.