Friday, November 03, 2006

Ted Haggard

Beloved Church Family,
Many of you have heard about the allegations regarding a very prominent pastor in Colorado named Ted Haggard. It has been the headline story on CNN.com all day long and my heart is grieved at what many non-Christians are thinking right now. Mainly, this situation dishonors Christ and dishonors His Church. When I first heard of the allegations, I prayed that they were not true. However, I have just heard that Mr. Haggard is admitting some of them are true. I’m sure many more details will come out soon. I’m writing to help you think and pray in response to this news.

First, situations like this should cause us all to evaluate our lives. We all have sin in our hearts. Let us humble ourselves, confess our sins, and take steps to battle the sin in our hearts. Let us be constantly in God’s Word because it is sharper than a double-edged sword and will penetrate our hearts (Heb. 4:12). Let us also plead for mercy and protection from sin. Let us also get in accountability relationships where people know us and ask us the tough questions regularly.

Second, we should pray that God would accomplish His purposes through this situation. We should pray for Ted, the accuser, New Life Church (where Ted serves (served) as pastor), the community, and all unbelievers who will use this as an excuse not to repent and believe in Christ.

Third, we should pray for and encourage our pastors. I’ll be the first to admit that I need your prayers for my purity and holiness. Pray that God would protect Tim and I from so dishonoring Christ and His Bride, the Church. Pray that we would be so captivated by Christ that our taste for the world will turn sour. Encourage us to stay in God’s Word and read God-saturated books that feed our souls.

On a more positive note: I’m very excited about this weekend and a chance to proclaim Christ with you.

In Christ Alone,
Justin Childers

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, this is a heartbreaking set of circumstances and is also being used for political purposes; but thank God for people of grace such as this blog is an example. Without grace where would any of us be? We must all truly pray, fast, and search our own hearts before we can cast stones upon our brother Ted. Let us all uphold his family, wife , church family and pray for protection from more evil from the Enemy as he is always seeking to devour the glory due to our Lord and any believer he can. Let us not allow the media to discourage any of us but that we would pray for a great revival to sweep our country as we fall on our faces before God and realize it could be any one of us who could be in this situation. To God be the Glory even when things look bleak.

ashley said...

Insight from Jonathan Edwards' resolutions...

8. Resolved, to act, in all respects, both speaking and doing, as if nobody had been so vile as I, and as if I had committed the same sins, or had the same infirmities or failings as others; and that I will let the knowledge of their failings promote nothing but shame in myself, and prove only an occasion of my confessing my own sins and misery to God.

A humbling and appropriate way to view others' exposed heart of sin by remembering our own.