Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Be a "Book-Giver"

Books are valuable. Let me qualify: Some books are valuable. A good book is worth much more than the 10 or 15 dollars it costs to obtain it. For example, think about the best book you have ever read, the one that has had tremendous influence in your life. How much would you have paid to learn that truth or have that experience? I think about Desiring God by John Piper. I would have paid a million dollars for that book. Praise God, you can get a copy of this priceless book for about $12.

Which leads me to what I was reminded of today: We should be "book-givers." We should be the people who are always transfering the most important books to other people. We should never enjoy a good book and simply put it on the shelf. Here is an attainable goal: Give away a copy of every book that you enjoy and benefit from (maybe give away a couple of copies).

My friend, Mark Gibson, is a "book-giver." As I boxed up my study this week, I was reminded again how many good books he has given me. We had a "farewell" lunch today, and he gave me three more books. Man, I'm going to miss Mark, our theology lunches, and getting good books from him. Mark, keep up the good work in Beaumont, and find someone else to mentor through good books. I'll do the same in Wilson, humbly following your example.

Another testimony about the giving of good books. My friend Rob and I have an unspoken rule about presents: Only give books. For almost 8 years now, Rob and I have given each other good books (most of them) for birthdays and Christmas. If my math is right, I should expect to get at least 100 more good books over the next 50 years from Rob. Rob, I'm hoping at least one of those 100 books will be one written by you. I can't wait.

16 comments:

Rob Tombrella said...

Justin---"good" would be relative to category and capacity over the years.

I Bemoan that I gave you Geisler's "Chosen but Free" as a wedding gift! Egads.

But folks, any number of books I've given Justin can be multiplied by about 3 in terms of how many he has given me. The BEST books on my shelf Justin has not given me a chance to buy. He sends them to me before I purchase them.

Moreover, it is becoming increasingly difficult to get Justin a "great" book he doesn't already own. Therefore, I'm glad that Piper takes 9 month sabbaticals.

pastor justin said...

Rob, God is sovereign even over your gift of "Chosen But Free."

Anonymous said...

I'd like to know whether Justin is also a "book sharer." Since Christ Baptist Church doesn't have a library (yet), I'm hoping Justin will freely share!

I also love to give books at every opportunity. My Piper books tend to get wrapped up and given away not long after I have the chance to read them. It is a joy to give such astonishing and glorious books.

LB in NC

Rob Tombrella said...

let me answer that.

Justin, i wonder if we can see an Alcorn moment here?

Dana said...

I whole heartedly agree with you on the matter of books. I love great Christian books and love to give them to people but I can't seem to find many people who actually like to read these days. THEIR LOSS!

Richard Wurmbrand's "Totured for Christ" is priceless as well as Francis Schaffer's "How Then Shall We Live" to name just a few...

Anonymous said...

Max Lucado, "In the eye of the storm" Was and is a awesome book, My wife and I took turns reading to my Father-in-law before he left this earth of cancer, And it brought us many tears and comfort!

jeanna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
pastor justin said...

Yes, my personal library is now Christ Baptist Church's library.

Anonymous said...

What's the Alcorn moment all about? A treasure princlple maybe? It's heavenly to share books?

Rob Tombrella said...

well, Randy Alcorn gave away all his books to his church to start their church library.

JonathanRBrooks said...

I have benefited from Justin practicing what he preaches. Thank you for the books you graciously gave to me!

Anonymous said...

Man Justin, I've sure loved all the Benny Hinn and Jesse Duplantis books you've given me over the years.

Mark Redfern said...

Along with Chase, I am deeply grateful for "Good Morning, Holy Spirit." Keep spreading the error, brother.

Anonymous said...

Mark obviously has enjoyed them as well. Justin, seriously, this is a great idea and blesses the saints.

pastor justin said...

You guys are way too funny.

laura said...

to the Christ Church representative- Justin is definately a book-sharer. as a member of FBC bmt. i can say that i have received both books as gifts for our family and also have had the pleasure of reading many of his personal books. However, you must watch out for his highlighting and note-taking in the margins- i found that sometimes in a hurry i would gloss over some and read the highlighted parts. justin did some of the work for me! (and i probably did miss part of the point ) thanks justin for being the most well-read man at church- you have taught our church well and we will miss your wisdom.