My incredible wife and my incredible church are allowing me to go on my first ever personal retreat. I was convicted of my need for such a retreat from listening to this talk by Mike Bullmore. I will be spending a few days away from the office, away from the internet, away from the news, away from the phone, and away from the norm.
Among my goals are to:
1. Evaluate my life and identify weaknesses.
2. Spend unhurried time alone with God in His Word.
3. Divide the Gospel of John into preachable units and plan the rest of the 2008 preaching calendar for Christ Baptist.
4. Do some thinking/planning/praying for the church.
Among the books I'm taking are:
1. Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands by Paul Tripp (for personal reflection).
2. Christ-Centered Preaching by Brian Chapell (for growth in preaching).
3. The Cross and Christian Ministry by DA Carson (for refocusing on the Gospel).
4. Sex, Romance, and The Glory of God by CJ Mahaney (for strengthening my marriage).
5. A Gospel Primer for Christians by Milton Vincent (for preaching the Gospel to myself).
6. Lots of John commentaries (for studying the Gospel fo John).
I know, I know. I'm lacking old books. On future retreats, I will make sure I take some older books. I just couldn't get away from the first three of these and probably won't have time to even read these well. Pray for me.