Friday, July 18, 2008

Forsake Your Righteousness

"Before you can ever make a clean and unamended confession of your sin, you have to first begin by confessing your righteousness. It's not just your sin that separates you from God; your righteousness does as well."

"Each one of us needs grace that's not only big enough to forgive our sin, but also powerful enough to free us from the self-atoning prison of our own righteousness...Resting in God's grace isn't just about confessing your sin; it's about forsaking your righteousness as well."

Paul David Tripp, Whiter than Snow.

4 comments:

BoldLion said...

I will have to read his book to fully understand what he is saying. "confessing my righteousness" I understand that we all do need to confess our sins to be clean from all unrighteousness.

Can you explain that to me? Maybe by email if you prefer? Or I do need to get that book.

I need Christ more daily!
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

pastor justin said...

Tripp is probing deep into what we trust. He is saying that even our righteousness is filthy in God's sight (because we have none).

Our hearts are deceptive. We will trust in ourselves every opportunity we get. We must agree with God that we have no righteousness on our own to commend us to Him.

BoldLion said...

Thank you for explaining this to me! Also I was thinking of Romans 3:10-12.

Hungry to eat His Word!
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Pastor Randy said...

Great thoughts from Tripp. It's funny how we can assume that our righteousness is good before God. Thankfully, He made Christ to become our sin so that we might become HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS. I confess my sin and my own self-righteousness before God right now.