Friday, September 05, 2008

My New Favorite Bird: The Pelican

One of the most beautiful things I've seen in a long time was a particular pelican hanging out just outside my room while on my planning retreat. When my mind was hurting from studying or when my body was aching from sitting, I would take a stroll about 100 feet outside my room to a little pier. It was a floating pier that made me feel like I was on a boat. I would sit or stand and be amazed as I watched this pelican stalk, retrieve, and eat his lunch.

He would circle and fly until he saw a fish that looked tasty. He would fly just above the water, then sort of float up in the air. Then, he would dive straight down into the water to try and catch the fish. One day, I watched him do this for what seemed like hours. Sometimes I would just look out the window and see if he was fishing.

This pelican and his friends helped me see the glory of God this week. They beckoned me to look outside myself and behold the beauty of my Creator.
Psalm 104:24: "O Lord, how manifold are your works! In wisdom have you made them all; the earth is full of your creatures."

P.S. I did not bring my camera with me. These are pictures pulled from other sites.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The white pelican photo was a dead give away that you were not the photographer. I'd only seen gray ones on our coast! :)

BoldLion said...

Glad that you had a great time. This does remind me of my mother's favorite pelican too.

I am so thankful that the Lord gave you a wonderful time at the retreat and pelican to keep you to focus on Him and the beauty of His creation too.

In Christ Alone,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion