Monday, October 20, 2008

Half a heart given to Christ?

Spurgeon on Mary in John 12:3:

“She brought out all her ointment, the whole pound without reserve. Even so, consecrate to the Savior all that you have: every faculty, power, possession, and ability. Half the pound of spikenard would not have sufficed. That halfpound in reserve would have spoiled the deed. Perhaps we should never have heard of it at all if it had been less complete. Half a heart given to Christ? Tell it not in Gath, whisper it not in the streets of Askelon. Half a life given to Christ? Half your faculties, half your powers given to Christ? It is an unworthy gift; he gave you all, and he claims all of you. O dear soul, if thou wouldst fill the house with sweet odour, bring in thy whole self, and pour out thy heart at his feet!”

2 comments:

J. K. Jones said...

But what about someone like me.

I have never given my whole heart to Christ. I have never completely surrendered to His will for me. If I had done either of those things, I would be perfect.

Is there hope for me? Does my faith in Christ count for anything? I have not repented perfectly, but I am sorry for my sin.

pastor justin said...

JK,
I think Spurgeon would argue that your faith in Christ is giving your whole self to Christ.

Thats exactly why we should have faith in Christ: because on our own we can never give ourselves fully.