Friday, January 23, 2009

Read this Slowly: CH Spurgeon in the Garden

Whatever you are doing, please slow down. This is worth stopping everything and taking in slowly. If you cannot stop now, please bookmark this and come back to it when you have time to meditate.
This is from the sermon called, "The Agony in Gethsemane" by CH Spurgeon.

"Again looking at Jesus in the garden, we learn the excellence and completeness of the atonement. How black I am, how filthy, how loathsome in the sight of God, — I feel myself only fit to be cast into the lowest hell, and I wonder that God has not long ago cast me there; but I go into Gethsemane, and I peer under those gnarled olive trees, and I see my Saviour. Yes, I see Him wallowing on the ground in anguish, and hear such groans come from Him as never came from human breast before. I look upon the earth and see it red with His blood, while His face is smeared with gory sweat, and I say to myself, “My God, my Saviour, what aileth Thee?” I hear Him reply, “I am suffering for thy sin,” and then I take comfort, for while I fain would have spared my Lord such an anguish, now that the anguish is over I can understand how Jehovah can spare me, because He smote His Son in my stead. Now I have hope of justification, for I bring before the justice of God and my own conscience the remembrance of my bleeding Saviour, and I say, Canst Thou twice demand payment, first at the hand of Thy agonizing Son and then again at mine? Sinner as I am, I stand before the burning throne of the severity of God, and am not afraid of it. Canst thou scorch me, O consuming fire, when Thou hast not only scorche but utterly consumed my substitute? Nay, by faith, my soul sees justice satisfied, the law honoured, the moral government of God established and yet my once guilty soul absolved and set free. The fire of avenging justice has spent itself, and the law has exhausted its most rigorous demands upon the person of Him who was made a curse for us, that we might be made the righteousness of God in Him. Oh the sweetness of the comfort which flows from the atoning blood! Obtain that comfort, my brethren, and never leave it. Cling to you Lord’s bleeding heart, and drink in abundant consolation."

2 comments:

BoldLion said...

Thank you for sharing this with us! It is what I need to read and to remind myself over and over of the Gospel why Jesus died for our sin.

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Anonymous said...

'His sweat was as it were like great drops of blood.' He must have been anticipating agony indeed.