Monday, February 23, 2009

Meet Jim Upchurch

Jim Upchurch is the associate pastor of Red Oak Baptist Church in Red Oak, NC. You can read Jim's blog here. I've known Jim for a few years now and have found him to be one of the most kind and gentle men I know. Jim's love for Christ and the people he serves is evident each time I get to be around him.

I have avoided playing any sports with Jim thus far because I'm positive he would take me to school.

Jim, thanks for your time! Please describe your morning devotions. What time do you wake up in the morning? How much time do you spend reading, meditating, praying, etc.? What are you presently reading?
I have evening devotions. I spend some time reading Scripture, meditating, and praying. The time varies... from as little to 10 minutes to as much as an hour or so. I'm currently reading Judges and Ruth, as I make my way through a 3-year Bible reading program.

What book(s) are you currently reading in these three categories: (a) for your soul, (b) for pastoral ministry, or (c) for personal enjoyment?
a) just finished Death By Love by Mark Driscoll,
b) The Christian Ministry by Charles Bridges,
c) Prologema by Herman Bavinck (I guess you can call it for personal enjoyment if you like).

Apart from Scripture, what book do you most frequently re-read and why?
I've only re-read a few books. Here are two: 1) Mere Christianity by CS Lewis because it was so influential in strengthening my spiritual life and faith in Christ. 2) The Great Divorce by CS Lewis because it makes me long for heaven.

When you finish a book, what system have you developed in order to remember and reference that book in the future?
While reading a book, I make notes in the back few pages (publishers... please leave a few blank pages back there!), along with a page number. I started doing this after I read JD Greear on the subject: and it's been very helpful.

If you could study under any theologian in church history (excluding those men in Scripture), who would it be and why?
I don't know. In some ways, we get to study under all (or at least many) of the theologians throughout church history. Yet, we also get to avoid some of their mistakes or blind-spots. Perhaps I would choose B.B. Warfield because he was committed to Christ and His Word; because he applied his theology to issues in his culture; and because he faithfully cared for his wife for many years while she was ill.

What single piece of counsel (or constructive criticism) has most improved your preaching?
Advice that I heard from Tim Keller (not personally) that young preachers shouldn't expect their preaching to be good until preaching several hundred sermons... and that they wouldn't "find their voice" until at least a few years of preaching.

What books on preaching, or examples of it, have you found most influential in your own preaching?
1) Preaching and Preachers by Lloyd-Jones.
2) I've been challenged by the preaching of John Piper, especially in regards to expositing the text and applying it to the people (getting down to real-life details).

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your effective use of time?
Write it down, review it, and do it. Reading Getting Things Done by David Allen really helped me.

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your leadership?
Advice to lead with my own leadership style. I'm generally quiet and reserved, rather than boisterous and outgoing. I was told by some that I would need to change that to be an effective pastor and leader. Thankfully, others have told me that I could lead without necessarily being loud.

Where in ministry are you most regularly tempted to discouragement?
By my sinful nature, I am very much tempted toward self-pity... to think that others don't recognize my worth and work as a pastor. With the help of others, I have realized that this is the subtle form of pride which must be fiercely resisted.

Do you exercise? If so, what do you do? If not, why not? (Please be specific.)
I occasionally jog, take walks with the family, play in the yard with my son, and play basketball or softball.

Currently, what sport do you like to play and/or watch?
There is no greater sport than college basketball. There is no greater team than the UNC Tarheels. In my opinion, the passion, emotion, reward, and loss can't be matched in any other sport.

What do you do for leisure?
Read, watch television (Am I allowed to say that?), take walks with the family, roll around on the floor with my son.

If you were not in ministry, what occupational path would you have chosen?
It's hard to say what I would have chosen, but I have a few ideas of what I'd be interested in and good at. Probably, I would have been a computer geek or a high school history teacher.

3 comments:

BoldLion said...

GO UNC-Tarheel team! He is right on that!

Thank you for sharing with us who you are in Christ! It is great to get to know you!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Justin Nale said...

Justin - thanks again for these great interviews. (There's no need to mess it up by posting mine!)

I thought that it might be good to add just how much these two guys (Jim & Dan) love their families. They are both remarkably humble men, men of the Word, men of integrity - but they are also FAMILY men. That's encouraging to me.

Anonymous said...

Justin,
Thanks for doing this. Very encouraging. Although, I am still seeking counsel on how to process some of the information that was disclosed during Dan's interview.