Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Meet Me

I was reluctant, but there has been a clamoring for me to answer the questions I've been asking others. So, in spite of the awkwardness of asking myself questions (at least I got the questions from someone else), here it is.

Me, thanks for your (my) time! Please describe your morning devotions. What time do you wake up in the morning? How much time do you spend reading, meditating, praying, etc.? What are you presently reading?
I get up at 6am most mornings and about 5:45am on Sunday mornings. I am currently doing the Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan so I’m in Matthew, Romans, Psalms, and Numbers.
I usually write a few paragraphs in my journal when I first get up (reflecting on the previous day). Then, I read each section of Scripture and summarize it in my journal. This helps me make sure I’m not just checking boxes and actually processing what I read. It is designed to help me meditate. I am working on praying as I read and actually using the words of the text to form my prayers. After I read and pray through the Scriptures, I pray for one of my church members and then go over my memory verses. Most mornings, this takes about 45mins to an hour.

What book(s) are you currently reading in these three categories: (a) for your soul, (b) for pastoral ministry, or (c) for personal enjoyment?
(a) Spurgeon’s sermons in Majesty in Misery and The Heart of the Cross.
(b) Bridges' The Christian Ministry
(c) I don’t read anything if its not for personal enjoyment. I enjoy everything I read or I don’t read it. However, I guess I could put Christless Christianity in this category right now.

Apart from Scripture, what book do you most frequently re-read and why?
Bible Doctrine
Desiring God
Supremacy of God in Preaching
Living the Cross-Centered Life
The Deliberate Church
I don’t re-read a lot of books, but I find myself going back to these for particular quotes and life-altering truth.

When you finish a book, what system have you developed in order to remember and reference that book in the future?
3 things: (1) If I find something useful, I blog about it. So, if I need a great quote, I look it up on the blog (and you thought I posted quotes for your benefit!).
(2) I mark helpful things as I read.
(3) I have an extensive filing system with a file for every book of the Bible and most important topics. So, if I read something that relates to a particular passage or topic, I photocopy that page in the book, and file it in the appropriate folder.

If you could study under any theologian in church history (excluding those men in Scripture), who would it be and why?
Charles Spurgeon or John Bunyan – I would want to benefit from their love for Christ and perseverance in suffering.

What single piece of counsel (or constructive criticism) has most improved your preaching?
It’s hard to pick just one. I’ve benefited so much from listening to good preaching. I guess the counsel that is foundational to everything is to preach the main point of the text. The Scripture is sufficient; therefore, just preach what the text says.
Bonus: A piece of counsel that I received from CJ Mahaney that has benefited me greatly is to read Spurgeon sermons on the text I’m preaching. I’ll write a post on this soon.

What books on preaching, or examples of it, have you found most influential in your own preaching?
Piper’s The Supremacy of God in Preaching. Azurdia’s Spirit-Empowered Preaching. Chapell’s Christ-centered Preaching.
Examples abound. Piper’s ability to draw every text into the glory of God. Dever’s ability to apply every text to the local church. Mahaney’s ability to relate every text to the substitutionary atonement.

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your effective use of time?
“Just one life and then its past; only what’s done for Jesus will last.”

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your leadership?
Teach and Pray; Love and Stay.

Where in ministry are you most regularly tempted to discouragement?
In more ways than I can write. If not for the gospel, I would be constantly depressed. The gospel frees me to not focus on results. The gospel gives me solid ground to stand on when I’ve preached a bad sermon. The gospel informs me that I have been accepted by God when I’m not appreciated by others.

Do you exercise? If so, what do you do? If not, why not? (Please be specific.)
I ride my exercise bike mainly so that I can listen to sermons. I might as well be doing something productive while I listen to great preaching. I try to ride it at least 3 or 4 times per week.

Currently, what sport do you like to play and/or watch?
I like to watch baseball when I can. I like to watch highlights of any sport but hockey. I like to play golf a few times per year.

What do you do for leisure?
Read, play with the kids, keep up with the news and sports highlights. I’m starting to enjoy projects around the house (installing bathroom faucets and lights; changing the antifreeze in my car; etc).

If you were not in ministry, what occupational path would you have chosen?
I have no idea.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was hoping you would post this Q&A with yourself, and was really looking forward to your answer to #4 with the book filing(pleasently not-suprised.) Thanks for interviewing yourself, I enjoyed it!

BoldLion said...

Thank you, Justin!

No hockey! MMMMM! I grew up watching live St. Louis' Blue when I was living in St. Louis and had enjoy that. Also while there, I did watch live St. Louis' Cardinals baseball! I did enjoy watching sports. A lot of pro-BasketBall games too. Why not hockey? Maybe that had all change in the last 30 years since I last watch the games.

Keep at it and keep on preaching His Word and eating His Word!

I am thankful for you and your lovely family too!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Anonymous said...

"I have no idea."
I could not imagine you in any other vocation Justin!