Monday, March 02, 2009

Meet Randy Alston

Randy Alston is the pastor of First Baptist Church in Pulaski, Va. You can read Randy's blog here.
I've known Randy for a few years now and have enjoyed getting to know he and his family. Randy was even a part of my church for a few months while he was in transition.

Randy loves Christ, his church, and his family. And, he is one of the most silly friends I have (Just check Randy's facebook profile pics for proof).

Randy, thanks for your time! Please describe your morning devotions. What time do you wake up in the morning? How much time do you spend reading, meditating, praying, etc.? What are you presently reading?
My goal is to get up around 5:30 in the morning. This takes more discipline than I sometimes exercise since it means going to bed at a decent time the night before. My goal in the morning is to spend time reading through my Bible every year and taking time to meditate on what I’m reading. I also try to spend a significant amount of time in prayer (minimum of 15 minutes, preferably about 30). I also spend some time reading through different books during this time. Right now I’m reading several books on personal holiness such as The Pursuit of Holiness and Holiness Day by Day by Jerry Bridges and Whiter than Snow: Meditations on Sin and Mercy by Paul David Tripp.

What book(s) are you currently reading in these three categories: (a) for your soul, (b) for pastoral ministry, or (c) for personal enjoyment?
The Pursuit of Holiness by Jerry Bridges
Christ-Centered Preaching by Bryan Chappell
Don’t read much for enjoyment right now since school is in full session

Apart from Scripture, what book do you most frequently re-read and why?
I do not typically re-read books. I have read Desiring God several times because it was a foundational book for my present thinking. I’ve gone back to it several times to meditate on the importance of delighting in God for His glory and my joy.

When you finish a book, what system have you developed in order to remember and reference that book in the future?
I don’t have a good system. I have tried different ways, but haven’t found one I like. I am planning to start writing in the front and back of books different quotes and pages that are significant.

If you could study under any theologian in church history (excluding those men in Scripture), who would it be and why?
John Owen. I’ve heard several times of the importance of picking a theologian from church history and diving in. I’ve tried that with Owen. He is quite challenging to read, but I love the fruit of the labor.

What single piece of counsel (or constructive criticism) has most improved your preaching?
A friend of mine, Wil Owens, once critiqued a sermon of mine when we were serving together. I don’t remember everything that was said, but what I gained from it was that I missed the point of the text. In my pride, I got angry. After cooling down and praying, I realized he was absolutely correct. Since then it has been my goal to make sure I get the point of the passage right before I try to preach on it.

What books on preaching, or examples of it, have you found most influential in your own preaching?
The Supremacy of God in Preaching has been the most influential book. However, I’m presently going through several more for an internship I’m a part of that are helping as well. That may change after this semester. John Piper has been the most influential person in my preaching, but there have been several friends who’ve helped as well: Justin Nale, Justin Childers, Jonathan Brooks, and Wil Owens.

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your effective use of time?
Not sure where it came from, but what helps me is to try to focus on one thing at a time and don’t let the small things pile up. Knock it out and move on. I still need to work in this area better.

What single bit of counsel has made the most significant difference in your leadership?
Guard against pride. It’s easy to creep up because it’s a part of everything I do. Reading C. J. Mahaney’s book Humility: True Greatness has been helpful in this. I guess that’s another book I’ve come back to several times.

Where in ministry are you most regularly tempted to discouragement?
I get discouraged a lot actually. I regularly feel like my preaching needs to improve. I often question my decisions. I don’t like to let people down, but I sometimes have to in order to get things done. This brings me discouragement.

Do you exercise? If so, what do you do? If not, why not? (Please be specific.)
I try. I have recently purchased an exercise bike so I can exercise in the mornings before I head out to the office. I have run in the past (thought I don’t like to) and I’ve exercised on the elliptical at the gym quite a bit. I’m not much for weight lifting since I got out of high school (which is distancing itself more and more).

Currently, what sport do you like to play and/or watch?
My favorite sport is UNC TarHeel basketball. I also love watching the Carolina Panthers in the NFL. I’m an Atlanta Braves fan in baseball, though I haven’t watched it much in recent years. I enjoy playing sports, but need to exercise more to do so. I probably spend too much time watching the sport of the season.

What do you do for leisure?
See the above question about sports! I do enjoy my family greatly. I have a wonderful wife and precious daughter and another gift from God in the womb. I like to take my family out for dates.

If you were not in ministry, what occupational path would you have chosen?
I have no idea. When I was young I wanted to be a pediatrician, but I don’t think I would have gone that route. I wasn’t saved until late in life (21) and was installing elevators in Charlotte, NC at that point. I guess I may still be doing that if I wasn’t saved and felt the need to preach.

2 comments:

BoldLion said...

Thank you, Justin for having Randy on this! I was praying that you would interview him.

Yes, he can be silly with all the pictures.

I am learning more and more about everyone!

By the way, I didn't know that he used to install elevators! That means I know 5 men well that does or had install elevators. MMMM!!!! That is interesting! 4 (3 currently) of them in my family does install elevators or repair them.

I am glad that Randy is currently going to SEBTS. Hang in there!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion

Pastor Randy said...

I'm glad my silliness is worth talking about. Just trying to help. Thanks for doing this brother. It was a great few months with Christ Baptist.