Thursday, July 16, 2009

A Praying Life

I just finished reading, A Praying Life by Paul Miller. I read the majority of it a chapter at a time before bed at night. It is a good book. It is a helpful, enjoyable, inspiring book.

Here are some of my thoughts about A Praying Life:

1. This is a good read. At times, I couldn't wait to read another chapter.

2. I'm putting this book back on the shelf more aware of God and the power of prayer. The real value of a book lies in what it teaches you about God.

3. This is not just a book about how to pray. This is a book about something deeper than prayer: desperation. This is a book about the reality of our helplessness. Miller writes, "Learned desperation is at the heart of a praying life." No matter what prayer strategies you develop, no matter what your theology of prayer, you will not pray if you are not desperate. The majority of this book is simply a call to recognize how much you need God. Apart from Christ we can do nothing; therefore, pray.

4. This book is about real life praying in the midst of all the distractions of our world. I love the personal stories throughout this book.

5. This book helped me want to be a better parent.

6. Miller makes clear that the best gift God gives is His Son. Jesus is God's most clear answer to our pleas. God allows suffering and leaves prayers unanswered so that we can grow in our love for the Savior.

7. I have reinstituted my prayer cards as a result of this book. I desperately want to obey Colossians 4:2: "Devote yourself to prayer."

1 comment:

Dan Biser said...

I appreciate your sharing about this book. Prayer is priority to me. I would like to encourage you to check out our web site:
http://www.brokenbeforethethrone.com
Our time of prevailing prayer, that desperation that you mentioned is among the group that meets for this week.

God bless,

Until,
dan biser
biser10@verizon.net
http://dbiser.blogspot.com