Please read this post by Tim Challies about planning for the Lord's Day. It contains fantastic advice for preparing to meet with the people of God under the Word of God. This advice is golden.
- Make it a habit to be home on Saturday night.
- Be careful not to do, watch, or read anything that will cause lingering distractions in your mind the next day.
- Get things ready on Saturday night to alleviate the typical Sunday morning rush (lay out clothes, set the table, write the offering check, stock the diaper bag, etc).
- Get a good night's sleep so you can be sharp and energetic to worship and serve God. It's hard to listen when you're nodding off.
- Eat a simple but adequate breakfast that will hold you until lunch. It's difficult to hear over the grumbling of your stomach.
- Work together with the other members of your family to get ready, and to establish and maintain a godly atmosphere on the way to church. Listen to music, sing, and pray together.
- Arrive at church ten minutes early instead of ten minutes late so you have enough time to find a parking spot, drop the kids off in the nursery or their Sunday school classes, get a cup of coffee, visit with your friends, and find a seat.