A few questions to ask as you read Proverbs:
- What is this proverb urging me to avoid?
- What is this proverb calling me to pursue?
- What consequence of obedience or disobedience does this proverb alert me to?
- How can I apply this proverb to my life today?
- How does this proverb reveal the character and will of God?
- How is Jesus the fulfillment or example of this proverb?
Some Helpful Principles to Keep in Mind When Reading Proverbs:
Context: Always interpret Proverbs in light of the rest of Scripture.
Meaning: Always interpret Proverbs as the original author intended. For example, many Proverbs are not meant to be taken literally (i.e. 22:29).
Application: Always remember that the goal of Proverbs is to change our lives, not simply to fill our minds.
Jesus: Always look for how the Savior is revealed through the wisdom of Proverbs (Luke 24:27). In Jesus are hidden all the treasures of wisdom (Col. 2:3).
“The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom…” -Prov. 1:7