Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Sweet Peace

Little Noah is sleeping, so I thought I would post some comments on a few books I've been able to preview.

1. The Loveliness of Christ by Samuel Rutherford - This book is a gold mine of rich treasures. This is a very small book that has a "leather-like" cover. It makes for a great gift book because of its cover. It basically contains nuggets from Rutherford's letters. These nuggets are meant to be chewed on and digested very slowly. This is not a book to pick up and read in one sitting. I brought it to the hospital with us on Monday because it fit nicely in my back pocket. It was there in the waiting room with us. It was there in the operating room with us. And it was there in the recovery room with us. I'll share just one nugget to whet your appetite: "Scar not at suffering for Christ; for Christ hath a chair, and a cushion, and a sweet peace for a sufferer."

2. In Christ Alone by Sinclair Ferguson - I haven't actually begun reading this book yet. However, I have looked through the table of contents, flipped through the pages, and read the recommendations. I absolutely can't wait to sit down with this book.

No comments: