Thursday, January 03, 2008

Questions from a 2-Year Old

I love my family. It is so fun to watch my kids grow and learn.
We entered into a whole new world with our 2-year old daughter on Christmas day. We were finishing our Christmas lunch and preparing for dessert. My wife started a tradition of baking a birthday cake for Jesus on Christmas day. My daughter was so excited to help decorate and eat this cake.
So, we talked about how Jesus is our greatest Treasure and how we celebrate His birth on Christmas. Then, we ate Jesus' birthday cake. It was an especially good cake and my daughter had icing and crumbs all over her face. Then, a question came from her curious mind that caught me off guard.
In a clear and sincere voice, she asked, "Where is Jesus?"
It was as if she was connecting the dots in her mind: "We are eating Jesus' birthday cake, but where is Jesus? Isn't He going to eat some too?"

It was a joy to then TRY to explain to her that Jesus is at the most prominent and powerful place in the universe: the right hand of God the Father. And, He dwells in the hearts of His people, and that He particularly dwells in His church which He purchased with His own blood.

2 comments:

The Taras' said...

That is so fun. Naomi asked me the other day if Jesus talks. I had to stop and think about it a minute... we were in the middle of Lowes shopping for dresser nobs! But it was a neat opportunity to talk to her about Christ and the bible. It was neat that she turned my thinking from nobs to Christ just like that.

BoldLion said...

It is so wonderful for your lovely daughter to ask you this question in child-like way! We, as an adult needed to do that too!

I know that she is listening and learning what you and your lovely wife, Jeanna are teaching her about Jesus and how important He is to her.

Eating His Word,
BoldLion