Thursday, March 12, 2009

Pastor Al Preaching at FBC Maryville

My former pastor, Al Meridith, will be preaching at FBC Maryville on Sunday (where the pastor was shot last Sunday).
What a great choice. They probably could have asked anyone in the country to come and preach for them this week. If I know pastor Al, he probably called and volunteered to serve them.

Pastor Al preached from Romans 8:28 on the Sunday after 7 students were killed by a gunman at his church. When we were looking for a church in Fort Worth while in seminary, I listened to that sermon and immediately knew this was the church we needed to be part of.

I've got 3 predictions for Sunday at FBC Maryville:
1. Pastor Al will weep with those who weep. He is the only pastor I've ever had who would weep regularly from the pulpit.
2. Pastor Al will proclaim the sovereignty of God. He's got a robust theology of suffering and God's complete control of all things.
3. Pastor Al will sing for joy in response to the hope of the gospel. He is the only preacher I've ever heard who sings during his sermons (every sermon).
I'd guess that at least one of his songs will be:
"My hope is built on nothing less, than Jesus blood and righteousness..."

1 comment:

Chase and Laura Bowers said...

Al is such a super guy! Met him through preaching at camps. He is a stud!