Saturday, May 01, 2010

Being Astonished by Grace

There is a powerful prayer titled "The Mover" in The Valley of Vision, a collection of puritan prayers. In it, the author says this to God:

"O Lord, I am astonished at the difference between my receivings and my deservings."

This is worth pondering for the next few weeks. Think of the vast different between what we deserve and what we receive.

There is a huge difference between my deservings and my actual receivings. I deserve the full force of the wrath of God. I deserve to pay eternally for my sin in hell. I deserve to be alienated from God. God owes me nothing good.

But, I have received grace upon grace from God. He has justified me by faith in Christ. I have received an eternal hope of everlasting enjoyment. I have received access to God through Jesus Christ. I have been given everything I need for life and godliness.

The difference between my receivings and my deservings is as great as any difference imaginable.

Let us think upon the difference between what we deserve and what Christ has purchased by His blood. Let us be astonished by the difference between what we deserve and what we have received.

No comments: