Thursday, December 06, 2007

Signs of the Spirit

I love Sam Storms. Everything I have ever read by him is excellent. He is a fantastic communicator and a passionate lover of Christ.

One of his newer books, Signs of the Spirit, is very unique. It is an "interpretation" of Jonathan Edwards' Religious Affections. It is not an abridgment. It is not a critique. It is not a response. It is an interpretation. Basically, Storms communicates what Edwards wrote in his (Storms') own words.

If you have ever tried to read Jonathan Edwards and not been able to follow him, I would encourage you to begin with Signs of the Spirit and then maybe going back to Edwards.

6 comments:

Marc said...

We are starting on his book "Chosen for Life" in our small group. I think it is excellent. I enjoyed reading his post on his theology yesterday in case anyone missed it.
http://www.enjoyinggodministries.com/enjoying-god/whats-your-theology/

Anonymous said...

justin- bought a few books by Sam Storms based on your recommendations, but have not had a chance to read them yet. I will let you know my take on him when I complete the books. Your recommendations haven't let me down yet dude.

pastor justin said...

papamarc,
Wow. "Chosen for Life" for a small group. That must be a serious crew.

dhalk,
Take note of this: I will let you down sooner or later. If I haven't yet, it is owning to mercy.
Which Storms' books did you get?

Marc said...

Just seriously hungry for truth.

Anonymous said...

pleasures evermore and one thing

darrell halk

Anonymous said...

It is interesting that Storms would write an "interpretation" of "Religious Affections" because Edwards was an absolute cessationist and expresses the strongest possible views on the subject in "Charity and Its Fruits". What gives???